Sunday, April 20, 2008

A solid weekend

This was truly one of the more solid weekends in recent memory. So solid I'm deciding not to drink for a week (yes, I know that's not long, but I'm being realistic). That's right.. I found a nasty note from my liver on my nightstand this morning.

Friday night, T and I went to a Japanese restaurant that I had read about. Unlike the other 95% of Japanese restaurants out there, they actually served Japanese food. That's right people, sushi is not the only thing they eat in Japan. Shocker I know. They had all the other goodies from Japan. Most of which I can't spell or pronounce, but I know is good.

Most importantly, they had ramen and other types of noodle bowls. Ever since my last San Francisco trip, I've been really craving ramen. Mmmmm... ramen. No, it's not that crap you buy for 50 cents a bag at the grocery store. This is great noodles.

It wasn't the best I had, and it certainly should've been a buck or two cheaper, but considering they're relatively close to my house, I'll be back soon! They also have a large variety of rice bowls that I'm drooling to try out.

After dinner, we decided to check out a new bar/venue. I've had wanted to go for a while, but never really knew where it was. I put it in the GPS and on we went. I gotta tell ya, I was a bit intimidated by this place. I'm all about the dives, but this place is something else. The neighborhood was very sketch, even for me. The building looked like it could be condemned at any time.

We walked up to the place. The crowd was definitely one that I liked. You got your goths, your punks, your strung out druggies, your rainbow colored hairs, your old drunks. Ah yes, my type of people. We went in and order what seems to be the preferred drink in the place. 24 oz PBR. It was huge, it was cold, and it was delicious.

A band was setting up when we got there. I was just going to get drinks, but I knew they have bands there all the time, so I guess it doesn't hurt to stay for a band. After a bit, we were enjoying the .... ok, I can't remember the name of the band.

Wish I could remember their name because they were surprisingly good. I will admit that I listen to some really crappy music. It felt good to be listing to awesome indie music at this place.

Saturday night was the Ultimate league's bar golf. I've never heard of it either, but after reading the rules, I knew this was an event for me.

What is bar golf?

It is a basically a bar crawl with a scorecard. each bar/restaurant is a hole. the group spends 30 minutes at each hole. Par is 4

Par = a beer (ex. high life)
-1 (birdie) = the signature drink of that establishment (see below)
-2 (eagle) = a shot AND a beer. (ex. captain morgan and a high life)
-3 (ace) = a shot IN a beer (ex. boilermaker, carbomb, dark shadow)

The idea of doing 18 holes was a bit ridiculous, so I decided to only do the back 9. For the back 9, I had a very respectable score of -7 at the end. I had 7 drinks and 2 beers. Doesn't sound like that much, but oh it sure was. I think the winner had the score of -18. That is nothing short of spectacular and probably dangerous.

I sure paid for this little stunt when I got home. I don't think I've gotten sick in a while. Had forgotten how insanely bad that feels. Hence my self imposed no drinking for a week.

I told Pup this morning about it and he said he could've gotten a -20. I think he's just full of cotton though.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I still remember my last drink/puke. Thank you Three Wise Men!

It's been two years ago Halloween!

the M girl said...

sorry to hear ya got sick! i didn't know you HAD a limit! :)

if you're ever in the OC area, there's an awesome ramen place, called Kohryu ramen. Toasted onion bits on top of an egg that is soft boiled and creamy. Delish!
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/SZcYo8FRIb3cmpWn5vwxBg?select=jN7OdwnREUISxfj8H8l0lA

Pup said...

J - looks like it's about time for another one for ya

M - I was feeling fine till Mary's. Between the guys and the girls there I just got a bit too happy ;)

Gotta love getting shown some love on both teams :)