Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Has Anyone Seen My Juice?

I was sitting around this evening procrastinating my eventual return to work. For a lack of something better to do, I looked through my files for old writings that I had done.

I came upon a screenplay that I had been working on for a while now. Every now and then when I get in the mood I would write out a scene. The screenplay always gives me chills when I read it. Not that it’s some literary or screenplay masterpiece or anything. I’m sure most of the things in there are derivatives of a lot of other movies I’ve seen before. But it was mine, I can almost remember every feeling of each of those scenes and where they came from.

A lot of the events are loosely based on my own experiences, or experiences that I had wished had gone a certain way. It’s nice to be able to do things over again. Even if it’s just on paper. I know we all have experiences where we’d love to be able to do another take, or do something different, say something different.

Another fun thing about writing the script is that you can put your friends in it. All of the characters, especially the comic relieves are just people I know. Those character are great cause they just write themselves.

After I reread the script tonight, I thought about writing another part. I sat here in front of the computer for about 30 min before I gave up. I used to have a million ideas. I used to be able to create so many scenes without thinking twice.

I can barely come up with a couple of lines that was neither funny nor helpful.

What’s happening to me? I blame it on the oldness, but I’m not sure if that’s the case. In the old days I would get a lot of ideas from my dreams. Most of my dreams are pretty horrific, and hence my nonsleeping, but they were still very imaginative. There were things in those dreams that were just wrong, but at least they were highly imaginative.

Not that I miss a lot of those dreams, but I haven’t had a dream (that I remember) in a really long time. And with it, I haven’t really felt that creative juice flowing. I don’t know if it’s the stress of work, being old, or everything else that’s on my mind. Whatever it is, I miss my dreams. I’m not sure what I need to do to get that back, but I would love to finish this script.

BTW, guess what kind of movie it is?

No comments: