Sunday, September 30, 2007

Reason # 1,786 why I'm not going to do well being old.

As many of you know me knows this, I don’t do well with getting older. I'm not doing well now with it. I don't do well with everything about it. I just don’t do well with the whole concept.

Well now, I have even more reasons.

After months of nagging from many friends, I finally went to see the doctor. I’ve always known this, but to make it official is something else.

Whenever I go to a Target or Kroger I generally go try out the blood pressure machine. It started out just for fun, but I continued to do it every weekend when I went to the store. This has gone on for years. I’ve always thought there might have been something wrong with the machine. The readings were generally insanely high. Like ‘Your heart may explode right now’ high.

It’s never concerned me that much. I’m generally healthy. Sure I could lose a few pounds, but the ultimate keeps me in ok shape and I don't eat too badly (except for that whole peanut obession).

I see a doctor about every 5 years. Even that’s a stretch for me. Everytime they see me, they generally have a concern, but since I don’t see them for another 5 years and I’ve moved to another city, nothing ever happens.

For some reason, the last few tests concerned me. Not that it was any higher, just that it’s that high in the first place. I told a couple of friends, then the nagging started. Lots and lots of nagging.

Finally I gave in and went to see the doc this week. I don’t know if she was acting, but she seemed quite concerned. She put me on 2 blood pressure medicines right away. I’m going back next week. I may have a 3rd.

Nothing makes you feel older than having this thought.

“Hope I don’t forget to take my blood pressure medicine today.”


Getting old sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know it doesn't help, but I know several people in their 20's on bp meds, and even have a few teenage patients that take them, too. So, it's not an age thing, sometimes it's just a genetic thing. There, blame your dad. 30 is NOT old.