Thursday, June 08, 2006

I Want to Pup You Like an Animal

With the continuing crap going on in my life, there has been an unlikely ally lately. I don’t generally go to that many concerts. Actually, before the They Might Be Giants concerts, I don’t think I’ve been to one in over 9 months (yes, I know that's still a lot more often than most people but the voices don't care about other people).

They Might Be Giants gave me a great lift with their energetic fun show that really helped my spirits. It all went away with the accident to Lucy last week, I was ready to punch someone in the face.

Last night I went to the Nine Inch Nails concert. Trent certainly delivered. The show was amazing and he was better than ever. Way to give my pent up rage a voice.

With that said, I must point out that I’m very disappointed in the crowd. Though they were into it, they weren’t really into it as much as they should. The music was rocking. Everyone should have been jumping around, but alas, just swaying.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Even right in front of the stage, there was no real action going on. T and I walked in the lawn area completely expecting a mosh pit or at least some slam dancing. Even there, nothing. I’ve seen more action at a widespread panic concert or at the Lilith Fair.

What the hell is wrong with these kids nowadays? Last time I saw NIN, there were 2 pits and looking toward that stage, you see an ocean of people jumping up and down with people being lifted to the top. People would run around and dance like they were possessed. Now that’s a good crowd.

In the good ol’ days, there would be a pit, maybe 2. As soon as one is formed, T and I would run and hurl ourselves in and clean up the weak from the pit. Yes, we were those guys. Of course that came with some serious bruises from other bigger fish in the pit, but it’s all good.

In this age of implanted fear from the government, religious minority enforced political correctness, lawsuit fears, too much coddling with our technology, and just generally pansy ass people who would use a weapon because they’re too chick shit to get some real action going, we as a society are going down the wrong path of civilization.

I’m not saying we should be anarchist or be randomly violent. No, that shit's just retarded. There is a certain degree of controlled violence that’s good for people, a controlled outlet. Anger and violence has become so shameful and unacceptable that we are forced to just pent it up inside. It doesn’t go away folks, it just manifests itself in other ways.

We’ve become so afraid to express ourselves. We’ve become so afraid to do anything that others may perceive as strange or different. We’ve become what the government and the religious minority wants us to be, an obedient subdued fearful group of citizens that needs their control on our lives because we don’t know any better.

Start mooing people, cause you're becoming cattle.

This country has shifted from power of the people, to power to the minority. If there is no hope in this crowd that I saw last night, there is certainly very little hope elsewhere.

As much as I wanted to hear more, I didn’t blame Trent for not doing an encore. The crowd certainly didn’t deserve one.

No comments: