Friday, January 05, 2007

Procrastinating in the New Year **

January is a very busy month at work. So busy that it’s a bit overwhelming and I don’t know where to start working. I choose to read some old posts of mine. Yea, that’s going to be a good strategy.

I read a few posts from last time this year. I was amazed with a couple of them. I don’t remember writing them at all, but some were really good like this one.

I’m not just patting myself on the back here. I’m more concerned with the fact that I can’t remember writing most of these posts and it’s only been a year. Generally, most of these posts have a reason. However random you may think, there was a reason. Even if it’s not obvious, there’s almost always a reason why I wrote on a topic. The rants are easy because they write themselves and are topical, but most of the other ones, there was a reason. A reason that I’m not going to remember anymore.

Perhaps it’s best to leave the reasons in the past and appreciate the posts for what they are. It may not always be a good idea to remember the why. Just learn and appreciate what has been written.

This brings me to a question. In any experience, is the WHAT you have done more important or is it the WHY? Don’t give me this they’re equal crap. No sitting on the fence. One must be more important than the other. Decide!

For example, let say you’re doing a ‘100 things to do before you die’ list. Is it more important that you check off everything or that there’s a good story behind each check mark? Perhaps by checking off each ‘to-do’, a story would naturally come out of it. Or should you not follow a list of things that you should do? Is the why you did a certain act more memorable or is what you have done?

In case you wonder, I don’t generally care for the whys (shut up, I know what I wrote above. That was more curiosity). I understand that people can experience the same thing on different levels and that certain things (however small) can mean a lot to someone because of the why.

I believe that experiences are the most important things we can achieve for ourselves and perhaps assist others in. Experiences are not like material things where it’s bad to have just for the sake of having. It doesn’t matter how silly or how it’s so been done, if you haven’t tried or experienced something, give it a shot. I don’t believe people can be too good or not good enough for any experience.

Experiences good. No need for a reason.

This is going to be a very busy month for me. Everything from an Elvis wedding in Vegas to a great 2 week stay on the West coast.

Let’s see what experiences we can rack up.

I probably need to stop procrasinating and get to work or there'll be the experience of unemployment.

** I should probably say that like most things, there are exceptions. I still believe that experiences are good and very important to have, but not all experiences should be had if the reason or way of getting the expereience would detract from the actual experience.

There are ways to experience a good things badly.

No comments: