This weekend, at the expense of the annual They Might be Giants concert that I always attend, End of fall season Ultimate tournament, and some good football time, I went to San Antonio to hang out with some friends and attend the wedding of an old college friend.
- I finally went and saw the Alamo this trip. It had been eluding me all these times when I’ve been down there. It was very interesting as I’m a big fan of historical war sites. At the site there was someone who told the story of what happened at the Alamo and a lot of the history leading to it. The legend behind the Alamo was definitely more glamorous than what had actually happened. For example, the battle only took 90min. It wasn’t days of holding the fort as many movies would lead you to believe.
- Went to happy hour with my friend’s wife’s coworkers. Nothing like starting to drink at 3:30pm. I should work for that company. I found out some very interesting thing about one of the coworkers that I’ve met a few times before. So this coworker, who is quite attractive, like turning head attractive, knows Pi to the 20th digit or something. She also has a Pi tattoo and graduated with a Physics degree. Seriously, when does that happen? The mix of beauty AND a Geek.
- Not everything’s bigger in Texas. I had some of the most pathetic pours of Jack and Cokes ever. Nashville still wins for the best pours. I don’t think they even put coke in my drinks.
- This was the 3rd totally secular wedding ceremony that I’ve ever been to. I love it so much more than the religious weddings. They actually talked about and focused on how much the bride and groom loved each other without having some diversion to God or something silly. Seriously, take a back seat today. This is their day, not yours. Back the fuck off. It’s not always about you. FYI, I make this comment to religious PEOPLE, not to the actual ‘God’ cause I’m sure he/sure would be cool about just sitting back during the ceremony and dancing to ‘I want you to want me’ during the reception.
- If I ever get married, I would like to do the whole Have Nagila thing. That is some fun stuff.
- I had one of the most delicious appetizers ever. It was potato strings that wrapped around a shrimp and lightly fried. It was crispy on the outside with a soft shrimp on the inside. Yum!
- Thumbs up to the bridesmaids at this wedding. They all danced a lot, and danced very well. Very awesome.
- Everyone went back to the hotel for the after party. Now that was fun. They brought back all the left over alcohol so we can now pour my own. Good times ensued.
- The second amazing woman I met during this trip. This woman was hilarious. She too was very geeky in that she talked a lot of video games. She named her cats from Harry Potter. Somehow we got to throwing signs with our hands. She was trying to show me how to do the Vulcan hand sign which I cannot do to save my life. Then it lead to gang signs, which I cannot do as well. She finally said ‘You can’t do geek or gang! I can’t work with this!!’
- This same woman is rail thin. However, she has one of the biggest appetites I’ve ever seen. I can’t even describe to you how much she ate during the after party. She talked about how she has to eat every couple of hours. Her friends all confirmed this and actually said that she’s eating a little less now. That is crazy. All I know is that she has a very understanding boyfriend cause he has to keep the fridge stocked and cook her food all the time. Funny enough they live only about 5 miles from me. I’ll definitely have to give them a call.
- This wedding concludes the 2007 wedding season for me. Later, I’ll write about the 2nd one that I went to where a real life Sgt Pepper marching band appeared after the wedding ceremony. It was something to see. Definitely in the tops list for things I’ve seen at a wedding.
Monday, November 05, 2007