Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rave on

Last weekend, after probably about a 2 year hiatus, there was a rave on the calendar. I was pretty hesitant about the whole thing. For one, earlier that day, I had my spring league end of season tournament. I’m usually exhausted and extremely drunk after that’s over. So this might not be the best timing.

I sucked it up. I wanted to see if the kids would come back. The venue was good enough. It was in this big trade center. Not as ghetto or scary as the old days in abandoned buildings or parking structure, but it was good enough. Certainly much better than the posh clubs that anyone ever goes to nowadays.

That’s just not how I roll. I don’t do the posh and dress code crap that these clubs enforce (unless you have an extra $20 for them).

I got back from ultimate and took a nap (ala Furdell style) before going out. I was quite tired from the tournament, but I was determined to suck it up. We left around 11pm which seems quite late, but still hours earlier then when we used to do.

We drove up to the place and I got a bit concerned. There were very few cars there. This was the venue that I went to see Tiesto last summer, and we had to park so far away and the lines were insane. Tonight, we parked right in front and got right in.

Not sure if we were going to be the only people there or what, but we went ahead and went in. Once we got in, we were greeted with some winged girls. Good sign so far.

We walked by the first room, I think it was playing some hard house. The second room had some happy hardcore going and the main room started with some good trance. I like the set up. It was spacious, the music was pretty good.

There were not many people there as the parking lot indicated, but the ones that were there, the majority were dressed properly (candy kid wise). What I was very happy to see and impressed with the dancing. Most of the kids knew how to dance. Not this jumping up and down crap you see at the clubs. I was even more happy to see that the people that really knew how to dance looked a little bit older. It was a good scene of older ravers and the younger kids.

It’s been so long since these events happened last that it’s expected that there wouldn’t be that many people there. Especially the younger kids. It was good to see that there was still a good amount of people there. After a while more people did come in. It never got crowded, but I think that’s pretty good. Hope the revival will continue.

Although I’ve got to admit, I was feeling pretty old with how tired I was getting by about 3am. So sad.

No comments: