Sunday, March 02, 2008

One night in NYC - Part 3

The train soon came to a squeaking stop. As expected, there wasn’t anyone on the train tonight. I was looking around at all the ‘Learn English’ ads that were covering the train. I still had a big goofy grin on my face. Inside, I was quite conflicted. I knew the night was about to end. Emma would get to her stop and leave. I couldn’t bare that thought right now as she sat next to me with her arm wrapped between mine once again.

We chatted about what we had to do tomorrow. That conversation was pretty short as neither of us really wanted to face that reality. For me, anything that involved Emma not being around my arm is a reality I didn’t want to face. My clients are the last things on my mind right now. The thoughts of suddenly coming down with something was a very fesible scenario in my mind.

I wanted to enjoy the now as they always say to do, but it’s so hard not to think what’s going to happen in a few minutes. When we talked, I couldn’t help looking at her. Not that it hasn’t already happened, but I wanted to make sure the image of her is firmly imprinted in my mind. Her voice, her mannerisms. Who knows what the future holds, but I knew seeing Emma again may not be for certain.

The doors opened after the train came to a stop. The next stop was going to be Emma’s stop. I had another 5 stops before the train stopped by my hotel. As the train slowly closed its doors, I was dreading this ride to the next stop. For the first time tonight, our conversation had stopped. The only sound was the train running over the uneven tracks. The metal on metal squeaks as it makes its turn.

The train slowly began to stop. Instinctively, I stood up and got ready for the inevitable goodbye. The train came to a jerking stop and suddenly, the speaker came on in the train. The conductor’s voice rang out from the fuzzy speakers. ‘This is the last stop for this train. Service for this train will restart tomorrow morning. All passengers please exit the train.’
Oh crap. What do I do? I didn’t know this train stopped here. I guess I’ll have to find a cab or walk. In this cold night, walking doesn’t seem all too pleasant. Hopefully, there will be cabs. You know, for there being so many cabs in New York City, I seem to always have trouble getting one. I don’t know it’s the areas I’m in or maybe it’s just me. Getting a cab in New York City is not a skill I’ve become proficient in.

As we walked out of the train station, Emma mentions that there are usually a couple of cabs by the train stop. She mentioned that her apt was very close as well. We got back to the street level and the temperature had significantly dropped and the wind has picked up. It was now getting unbearably cold with the wind tunnels the large surrounding buildings create. Looking around, there were not cabs to be found. Of course. I almost expected that with my luck with cabs. Actually, there was really nothing around anywhere for that matter.

I was beginning to get a little concerned. Not only because of the lack of transportation home, but I also really have to use the restroom. The cold is really not helping with this. After looking around the block for a few minutes, Emma decided it might be best if we waited at her place and call for a cab. I jumped on that idea for all kinds of reasons, but right now, it was all about the bathroom.

We walked a few blocks from the train station and she started walking up to the building with the small red door. She opened the door and we walked up a couple floors of stairs before stopping at the door with a faded 3C imprinted.

“I don’t know if I mentioned this, but I have 2 roommates” Emma commented as she opened the door. As we walked in, the small apartment looked as if it had been ransacked by pirates. “And they’re not the neatest people in the world” she said with a little bit of embarrassment. The room was filled with an assortment of bottles and magazines. There was some food on the table. It seems someone was doing some entertaining tonight.

“I’ve got a number for a cab in my room, hold on a sec. Oh, and the bathroom’s the door to the right”. I said thanks and rushed to the bathroom. Before I got to the bathroom, I heard a large moan followed by “Why are you in my bed?!” I really wanted to see what’s going on, but the bathroom had to come first.

When I came back out to the living room, Emma was looking a bit upset. She said that Steve is in her bed with a girl because their other roommate was in their room with another girl. This was obviously very upsetting to her and for good reasons. She handed me a business card with a taxi number on it and told me these guys are pretty reliable. They can probably be here in a few minutes.

I didn’t want to leave her in this state. She was obviously pretty upset with her roommates. The apartment was a wreck from the partying that was happening earlier tonight. Selfishly, I didn’t want a great night to be remembered with this ending. Also, I still didn’t want to leave her. Even with this crappy situation, she seems to be taking it a lot better than most people would. She was upset and frustrated, but not angry and unreasonable as most people would be. This was pretty refreshing to find a person that can stay calm like this.

I couldn’t think of anything to say. I wanted to be careful about what I was going to say in a situation like this. After all, I did just meet her earlier tonight. I wanted to be there for her, but not be creepy or overbearing, or something like that.

I tried to make light of the situation for a bit. Then in a half joking, half serious manner, I mentioned that she’s welcome to stay with me at the hotel. I did have a pretty posh room with a pull out sofa. Thank you rich clients. I expected her to smile and decline my offer right away, but instead she was silent. I was thinking this was either going to be bad or really bad.

Emma thought about it for a while. Even thinking she looked adorable. She looked out at the large windows that overlooked an empty parking lot then said “if you don’t mind. I can take the couch. I have a pretty early morning tomorrow so I can be out of your hair before you even get up.”

“Umm. Sure. Yea, great.” That was all I could get out of my mouth as an intense rush of excitement came flowing through my head. I wasn’t sure where this was going, but all I cared was that I would get to spend a little more time with her. I called the cab as she went back into her room to get some of her stuff.

She came back out in a few minutes with a small bag. Emma said with a smirk that she’s going to have to burn her sheets when she comes back and then she may burn theirs just for fun. The mood in the room seems to have lighten up a little. She went in the bathroom to grab a couple more things and we hurried downstairs as a cab started honking his horn.

No comments: