Friday, September 02, 2005

Even for someone who can’t stand this administration, I hope this is false.

Shopping? Are you fucking kidding me?

From Gawker:

“According to Drudge, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has recently enjoyed a little Broadway entertainment. And Page Six reports that she’s also working on her backhand with Monica Seles. So the Gulf Coast has gone all Mad Max, women are being raped in the Superdome, and Rice is enjoying a brief vacation in New York. We wish we were surprised.

What does surprise us: Just moments ago at the Ferragamo on 5th Avenue, Condoleeza Rice was seen spending several thousands of dollars on some nice, new shoes (we’ve confirmed this, so her new heels will surely get coverage from the WaPo’s Robin Givhan). A fellow shopper, unable to fathom the absurdity of Rice’s timing, went up to the Secretary and reportedly shouted, “How dare you shop for shoes while thousands are dying and homeless!” Never one to have her fashion choices questioned, Rice had security PHYSICALLY REMOVE the woman.

Angry Lady, whoever you are, we love you. You are a true American, and we’ll go shoe shopping with you anytime.”

I usually laugh when people say something has gone Mad Max, but it’s not funny when it’s true.
There is no excuse for this. None. Someone please enlighten me cause I can’t think of any reason or scenario where this would be ok. Please don’t say she can do what she wants on her own time. In a crisis this big, the secretary of state does not get the luxury of personal time.

What the Fuck FEMA?

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am at how FEMA has performed so far in this crisis. FEMA is the emergency agency that takes cares of major crisis such as this. I think my anger is also cause by my former fascination with FEMA and their ability to come into a crisis situation and get things done quickly and efficiently. FEMA is given a lot of power to take over a crisis situation (including declaring Marsha law). Whatever is necessary to take control of a crisis situation.

In years before, FEMA has always been bad ass. Coming into a crisis situation HOURS after something bad has happened, taking control, and getting things done. As of yesterday, the Major of New Orleans was still looking for people from FEMA.

I know I’m not there. Perhaps FEMA is there, but obviously, they are not doing a good enough job. This isn’t the CIA. People want to see FEMA people swarming around. Letting people know that help is there and everything will be ok.

This is the first test for FEMA since they were placed under the control of the Homeland Security Department. I don’t know why they have become another slow bureaucratic government agency. I don’t know how they could’ve been so ineffective in this situation. This is your whole purpose for existence, and you’re letting the people that needs you most down.

The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Michael D. Brown leapt into action, mustering all the emergency disaster management skills he learned as a lawyer for the International Arabian Horse Association Legal Department (from which he was fired). His money quote: "Paula, the federal government did not even know about the Convention Center people until today."

Please don’t think I blame the individuals out there helping out. I know all the emergency crew, national guard, military personnel, and others are all doing as much as they can to help everyone with what they have. There is just something horribly incompetent about the leadership right now that didn’t send help sooner and are not better organized.

Just throwing it out there.

Sprint Nextel is currently matching all employee contributions to the Red Cross Hurricane relief fund. If anyone is interested in having their contributions doubled, email me and let me know how much you want to contribute and I can send one check for all of us. Then it will be doubled!

No pressure, just wanted to throw it out there. I promise Pup will not steal all the money to buy booze with. Feel free to post this elsewhere.

I have until September 12th to get the money to the company to be matched, so if you’re interested, send a check to me soon.

In case you didn’t know, Sprint and Nextel merged about a month ago. Yesterday was our big Customer Launch. You should be seeing a lot of yellow from us soon.


Save some money this weekend so you can send it to me! Drink domestics instead of the fancy stuff. Have some Pabst or stay at home and get a 40 oz. If you do get a 40, remember to pour some out for your homies.

No comments: