Sunday, May 14, 2006

They Might be Pups

If you didn’t know, They Might Be Giants (TMBG) is one of my favorite groups. They were my first concert, and first …. Um.. I can’t say without getting into trouble, but let’s just say TMBG concerts was the first of many things for me.

I’ve seen them almost a dozen times in the 12 years or so I’ve been listening to them. So yea, I’m a bit of a fan.

After coming off a horrible week, and then a weekend that didn’t turn out the way I had hoped, I was a bit of a mess. I tried all my usual things to pick me up, but it wasn’t happening.

Just as I was about to give up doing something positive and revert to Jack and the Captain for support, a creative loafing page (alternative newspaper) flew onto my leg on my way to the liquor store.

I looked at it for a brief second and right there in bright wording “They Might Be Giants” in concert in a few days. I couldn't have been happier to see that. Yes, I know if I was a real fan I'd know if they were coming. So after sitting through the funk for a few more days, I went to the TMBG concert.

Sure enough, TMBG were every bit as fun as always. They put on a fun interactive show. There was even a special appearance by StrongBad of Homestar Runner (see link). Even the guy who opened for them was great. He sang depressing, happy, and some hateful love songs with a little uka-lay-le (sp?). A little guitar. No, I have no idea how to spell that. Anyway, he was fantastic.

Things haven’t changed with what’s put me in this funk, but I’m glad TMBG was there. I’m sure it’s pure coincidence, but right now, I’ll take it.

Remember kids, Istanbul is not Constantinople and Triangle man always wins.

No comments: