Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Pup can be Heros… Just for one day..

Maybe it’s because I watch too many movies, or maybe I just have grandiose dreams, but have you ever thought of being a hero? No, not that indirect nice person hero crap. Not the donating to the Red Cross, or United Way, or some other indirect way of helping out your fellow man and being a hero. Also not the long term being a big brother/big sister mentoring being a hero thing either.

No, I’m thinking more along the lines of superman or batman hero stuff. For example, saving people’s lives or fighting real evil people (unlike made up ones..) that is doing something bad right in front of you. Something like catching a kid before he/she runs out into the street in front of a speeding car. Running into a burning building to save someone. Stopping a homicide from happening. You know, things like that.

Ah, but I bet you can’t guess WHY I want to do this. Ok, go ahead and guess. Give up? It’s not the being a hero thing actually. Sure saving a person’s life and having their undying thanks would be great, but that’s not the main reason (yes, I know I’m selfish like that). It’s not the getting on the news, wearing a cape, and it has nothing to do with being made into a TV movie (unless they write in Dushku as my girlfriend).

The main reason I would want this opportunity I think is to see how I would actually react in a critical situation. Sure, everything knows what the right thing to do in crisis time, but would they actually do it or would they freeze up?

I can dream of tons of scenarios and exactly what I would do at each one, but that’s all just in my head. In a real situation, what would I do? Be brave? Get myself shot? Be able to kill someone? Or just stand there and pee in my pants?

Unlike other types of things that can be simulated, this is not something that you can fake. It’s gotta be a real scenario with real bad people and real people in danger. Only by facing the real thing can you really determine what you would do.

For some reason, I always think of this guy when this topic pops into my head.

Now that’s man who’s proved what he would do.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: