Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Simplicity

Is it really true what they say about ‘the best things in life are those that you have to work the hardest for?’ Would we really not appreciate something simply because it was simple to achieve?

With the right planning, don’t most things work out pretty simply? Why should things be difficult if there was enough planning involved in the first place? I can’t foresee all the scenarios you say? That maybe true, but I think careful planning would eliminate 90% of the foreseeable complications. Yes, there’s still 10% to deal with, but that’s not that bad.

So why make things hard? You say many didn’t have a choice in choosing the easy life. You’re probably correct. You would probably be correct to think that some just doesn’t know how, doesn’t know what 'easy' looks like.

Look at the majority of the lottery winners. Statistics shows that most of them go through almost all of their money within 5 years. This includes those that won the big hundreds of million pots.

Did those people just not know how or want to live easily? Did they not accept their role in an easy life and instead subconscientiously sabotaged themselves back to the hard life that they are familiar and most comfortable with?

This goes the same for other things and for things other than money. Choices, they’re a bitch.

It’s no wonder so many people turn to religion. Making choices and living with the choices you’ve made is difficult. Having someone telling exactly what to do in every situation is a lot easier. So in this cases I suppose people did choose the easy life.

I’ve always said that when I die, I would love to spend eternity looking at ‘what-if’ scenarios. What if I did this vs. that, or what if I did or didn’t do something. What, if anything, would be different. I think that would entertain me for a really long time.

Is this why religious people keep talking about the after life? Easy vs. hard life? If I subscribe to what I just said, planning would allow you to achieve the easy afterlife. If there is one. But also to an earlier point, would you appreciate something that was easily gotten?

I’ve always been a bit of a megalomaniac for as long as I can remember (among other issues). Through the years, the reasons have drastically changed. An all powerful being as most imagine would be omnipotent and omniscience (no, not the same thing). I think in the beginning I was drawn to the power. I mean, who wouldn’t want that.

However, as I get older, that just doesn’t seem as important or appealing any more.

The more I think about it, the more it becomes clear. I no longer want omnipotence. I care very little any more about those things. What I truly desire is omniscience, and more importantly with that, answers to my questions.

To know. To understand. To be able to answer my ‘what-ifs’.

Perhaps I’m being a little dramatic with saying omnipotent and omniscience, but you get the idea.

So many questions. So many possible answers. Only one way to find out and play out the ‘what-ifs’.

Why can’t things just be simple and easy?

Oh yea, I wouldn’t appreciate it as much.

No comments: