Thursday, January 27, 2005

Animal-Human Hybrids Spark Controversy

This is a very interesting article. I was pretty amazed that there’s so much of this already going on. As you may recall, this type of research was what I was going to do on my secret island that I would buy when I win the lottery. I would combine super monkeys with other animal traits and abilities for a perfect army. We wouldn’t attack anyone of course, just getting ready for the pre-emptive strikes.

I fully support this type of research because there are many medical benefits that could result from this. However, parts of me can’t stop thinking about the theoretical arguments for making Chimeras.

Duplicating humans is one thing. It’s been done. It’s nothing new. No big deal. In this case, new species are being created. Not only that, they are being created for the sole purpose of research and harvested for parts.

Much of the following debates isn’t valid until much further into this research, but I like to think long term and it’s my post so there.

How much success and how far the development will go before we say, ‘No, we can’t just harvest them because they’re living creatures’. Will we ever see them as equals or just parts for us to harvest?

Before I go on, all you Anti-choice people need to stop thinking that this is the same issue because it’s not. I’m not going to get into it here, but it’s not the same thing.

What are the responsibilities for us being creators of these creatures? And doesn’t it seem very selfish that we would create another whole species just to allow our kind (humans) to live longer using their parts? What kind of species are we to be so obsessed to live beyond our normal timeline?

Also, why is there such a big fear of death? It’s natural. Getting fixed up with different body parts is not. It’s Frankensteinism. Yea, I made that word up. It’s not natural.

There are 6.5 billion people in the world right now. Why do we need to extend the life span of people when the population growth shows no signs of slowing? As it is, the planet will have problems supporting life in the next 50 yrs or so.

On one hand, I fully support this research. However, I really do have reservations for where it would take the human specie on a grander scheme.

Questions to think about.

On a fun note, what other animal parts/traits would YOU want to have added to you?

No comments: