Saturday, August 21, 2004

Holy Matrimony!

When I saw this Askmen.com article, I knew I had to post it for my fellow Blog contributors. I thought it was somewhat amusing and appropriate for T and Pup since it's one of those 10 things to do to pick up chicks at a wedding. Well, maybe the article is more for Pup than for T since he has more upcoming weddings to go.

Reading this article, however, reminded me a lot of reading these cookie-cutter management/self-improvement books since they all seem to provide a "method" for people to become more successful/happier. Personally, I always believed that these cookie-cutter methods on how to improve your life or situation is a crock of bullshit. I believe that when you are looking to improve your whatever; you have to take into account your own strengths and weaknesses.

Personal Example
I have always been terrible at picking up strangers. Seriously, it's just not my forte. I am talking about moments of really awkward silences after I TRY to use pick-up lines. Bottomline is that I didn't feel comfortable approaching and chatting it up with women who I didn't know. That's why I didn't meet the future Mrs. in a bar/club or at a wedding. I met her, because we were both trying to start the same club while we were in business school. We started hanging out after classes with other friends, and the rest is history....well things didn't actually go smoothly at least after I took a few more rejections by the fiancee.

So maybe, it's a good idea for T to join a book club at the Barnes & Noble. No, DO NOT join the Sci-fi or Fantasy book club. Okay you can join one, but you have to join another book club that has more women. Try the mystery or general fiction book club. You gotta try and do something. Don't be hurt and give up after the first rejection. Learn from my example. If you truly believe someone is worth going after, you can't give up so easily. You gotta have some conviction!

So how's the best man's toast going, Pup? Have you been practicing your Thai? If you read the article, nothing screams husband material or enhances your scoring opportunity like a great toast/speech. Better start practicing in front of the bathroom mirror!

No comments: