Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Random acts

I thought I’d share this that happened last night. It was nice, and it should be shared. People should be nice. It’s good. You could give a Pup a smile.

The last couple of days, I’ve been feeling really crappy. Not that there was anything bad going on in my life, but just that there wasn’t anything good going on either. The lack of bad things happening does NOT mean things are good. Know that (T)! It just means that things aren’t bad. That’s not a good goal in life to not have bad things in your life, it’s mediocre. Life’s too short to live at a mediocre level. Strive to have a happy life. Plenty of good things. Oh.. I’m off topic. I like it for there to be good things, I miss having good things in my life, and the lack any good things makes me Blah..

Blah, bla, bla, bla, blah…. Bla, bla, bla…

Anyway, I go to the park to play some Frisbee last night. I usually go home first, but I went straight after work to save on gas. Of course, I was there way early and no one was there yet. After changing from work clothes to my sloppy exercise clothes (in public of course, just dropped those pants on the field. It’s fun, everyone should do it), I went back to my car and decided to use the time wisely to clean out the trunk.

Big Red’s trunk is a mess. After several bags of trash filled with half opened bottles of oil, strange sticky stuff, 65 cents in change, old clothes, random women’s underwear (don’t ask, not cause I don’t want to tell, I really have no freaken idea. They were new with tags still on.). I found my old tennis racket and a really old tennis ball in this heap of mess (I also had racketball racket, racketball, baseball, hiking stick, softball just to name a few sport items).

I figured I’ve got time, I’ve been meaning to play again, so perfect opportunity. The tennis area is right next to the Frisbee fields anyway. Oh, when I say old tennis ball, I mean Oooolddd. It was a brownish colored (started bright yellow) and so flat I could crush the ball in my hand. This is not ideal, but I’m just practicing my form anyway, so no biggy.

After the first few hits against the wall, the ball was just not coming back (too flat). So I started hitting the ball harder and harder. Being that I haven’t played in a few years, I kept losing control of the ball and hitting it over the wall into the tennis courts behind the wall where these couple of guys was playing a game. These guys were nice as they picked up the ball and kept throwing it back to me.

I let out a growl as I hit it over the wall once again. As I stood there waiting for my ball to come back, I was not a happy pup. Stupid flat dirty ball. Eerrrgggg…..

Moments later, I looked up as a shinny yellow ball flies over the wall. I hear one of the guys yelling “Here, play with this one!” I caught the ball and looked at the nearly brand new tennis ball (it’s still got that new ball smell! There really is a new tennis ball smell).

“Thanks!” I yelled over the wall. I took a few swings at the ball towards the wall, and it bounced eagerly back to me. I was a happy Pup.

Little nice things. However small, insignificant, or even a little silly. Even if you never hear about it, it could really make someone’s day. It’s nice.



(This post partially inspired by Lovisa post from a bit ago. Rock on with your buying coffee for others self!)

No comments: