Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Bush to screen population for mental illness

After reading this article, my mind was working overtime. My mind kept trying and trying to find the logic and justification for this. I came up with some, but they were all so preposterous and they mostly included labeling people as Alphas and Betas.
This is one of the scariest articles I’ve seen in quite a while concerning our government. Not only is this a bad idea, but even the thought of entertaining this idea is ludicrous (not the dirty south rapper either). At first, I thought I had mistakenly gone to the onion or some other humor website, but sadly no.

Comprehensive mental screening for everyone, including pre-schooler? Are they out of their fucking minds? I agree with their statement that there are a lot of undiagnosed children out there. However, simply giving them a pill will not magically solve all their problems. Yes, it is the simple solution. Yes, it is the solution that will ensure that big pharmaceutical will have a stable consumer base. Yes, to the ignorant masses, this will certainly seem like a good idea. But NO, this is not the Right solution! This would be equilvant of some wonder pill that's being sold on a late night infomercial. It all sounds so good, but it's truly bad. Sadly, the administration only cares about staying in power for 4 more years.

Drugging up children is not the answer!! Do drugs help children? Yes, sometimes. But this is usually along with other methods of mental health support. Thinking that a pill will magically cure problems with children at school is simply idiotic. There are no quick fixes for mental illness or deficiency.

There is also a big problem diagnosing children and having them labeled at such an early age. Although, I’m not a psychologist that deals with children, I think I still have enough credit here to say that these labels can have detrimental effects on the mental growth of the child. Children are mean and nasty towards each other. Elementary, middle, and high schools are tough enough without having some label hanging over you. Another point on diagnosing children, or even adults, this is not a perfect science. Not even close! Ah yes, things that jackass Dr. Phil forgets to tell you. Psychology is NO where near a perfect science. I could bore you with some overall predictability of psychological tests and assessments, but I won’t. The bottom line is that this is not even like medical science where you can take a x-ray or do a blood test and can say “yes, this person has this broken bone, or this cell deficiency. Yet we are still willing to prescribe pills to our children that no one really know exactly why they work, just that they do (This is true. They kinda know why it works, but not exactly. The process of how drugs are made usually include making a drug, test for the “proposed” main effects and note the side effects, then whatever the strongest reaction is (whether it’s the main or side effects), that’s what they will sell the drug as.)
I’m not even going to go on about how there are certain “recommended” drugs for this program and that it just happens that these large pharmaceutical companies are large contributors to Bush and the Republican party. I won’t even start going there.

As a friend of mine pointed out, this will probably be sneaked into the “No Child Left Behind” initiative. No one would dare questions an initiative such as “No Child Left Behind”, hence once again it will sneak by without very much publicity. This is a big thing with me due to the RAVE act being sneaked into the very popular “AMBER ALERT ACT”. Who would question or say anything bad about an act to quickly help missing children? No one of course. But if we looked through the Amber alert, we would see that they attached the RAVE act which classified all raves in the same category as a crack house. This means that they can shut down any “rave” event and hold the promoter responsible. Hence, the end of Raves in the US. I hate you. Oh my God I hate you. Ok, I’ll stop this even though it pisses me off to no end. I’ve digressed enough.

If you are reading this, please let someone know of this. Spread the word. Yes, all 5 of you that reads this blog. If you are a parent, you should be very frighten for your children. So speak up.

I know others of you are much better writers and articulate much better than me, so please do so on this.

9 comments:

sarahred is smokeylonglong said...

Did you know West Australians are the biggest abusers of prescribed drugs in the developed world? (Apparently). Dexies (Dexamphetamines) are a huge market over here for students who use them to study- they are prescribed for ADHD kids, who then sell them on. (The ironic thing is that the people I know who use them are the massive over achievers- in order to work and study the hours demanded, a lot of people see short term dexie use as the only way)
The thing is, most kids prescribed them are just little shits from bad families who need a smack now and then, or counselling. Not drugs. That really is scary about the Bush administration and the pharmaceutical companies...thank dog I'm Australian. Mind you, what with our arse-licking prime minister, we may have the same type of thing in a couple of years....

Pup said...

I think the drug of choice here in the states for over-achievers is Ritalin (aka Kiddie Crack). It's used for treating ADHD. It's an amphetamine that is classified by the Drug Enforcement Agency alongside cocaine, LSD and ecstasy. It's still legal why? Oh.. right.. Novartis Pharmaceuticals with their deep political donations makes it. I just wish they would be more fair and start making ecstasy (but with a funny sounding name. Who came up with crap like Paxil, or Aventura? I'm convinced they locked a group of monkeys with a type writer and see what words come out)

Pup said...

Oh, I just looked it up. Dexies are the same as the kiddie crack. Same stuff, just different companies makes them. Yay, we share the same addictions! :)

Pup said...

All I know is that I believe what Reggie is selling me on the corner much more than what Johnson and Johnson is pushing any day.

Pup said...

Know that! Reggie's the man you need to see if you want the quality.

sarahred is smokeylonglong said...

Okay- I did pharmacology and Ritalin is not the same as dexamphetamine- similar but with a different chemical side chain, I THINK. I'm not 100% certain. All I know is red cordial is pretty full on. I think they should precribe that to kids with ADHD just to see what happens...

Pup said...

Oh you're right. Ritalin is a Methylphenidate and Dexedrine is Dextroamphetamine. They're classified in the same group though.

Unknown said...

Today I am actually going off my medication. Its Effexor, and antidepressant. Ive been on it for a year, and I dont like the weight gain, and being tired all the time. Wish me luck!

We need to get rid of BUSH asap. I hate that crazy man!

Pup said...

Congrat Vgrrl!! Those kind of drugs are BADDDD!!

Anytime you need some pepping up you just let me know!! I'll be there for ya girl!