Monday, July 19, 2004

A Very Long Post

Ok, this is a long post and it contains SC (strong cheesy) elements. This is also a post that you may be thinking right after you finish reading, wow, that’s 15 minutes I’m never going to get back.  Just a warning.  Note:  Seeing Spiderman II before this post will help you really appreciate the quality of the cheesy drunkenness of the situation!
 
I went out with my friend during my visit in Arizona this weekend.  We first met up with his girlfriend and her sister.  We were at this very nice trendy yuppie bar.  Where the people were pretty and a good acid jazz DJ played from his perch from above the restaurant/bar.  We order fancy drinks and ordered some fancy fries.  I know, only a place like this would there be fancy fries.  What does fancy fries entail you ask?  Basically, they’re fries like you would get anywhere else, these were just more expensive and had 3 dipping sauces that went with it.  The fancy ketchup, fancy ranch, and fancy strange cream sauce.  They were good.  The best part was the waiter who had the coolest hair.  It was dark on the side with a blonde/red middle.  It’s hard to explain, but it was so cool.  I was so jealous.  Anyway.   
 
As is usually the case where there are multiple people sitting at a table, the four of us broke out into our own conversations (the place was loud and difficult to speak across the table).  So I’m just jabbering with the sister.  She was quite interesting.  She mentioned that she had just donated 12 inches of her hair to this foundation that makes wigs for children with cancer.  Wow..what a great thing to do.  I bought her next drink.  It just seems right.
 
We got on talking about bars and what type we liked.  We both agreed that where we were was too trendy and filled with too many wankers trying to act important.  The two of us then started talking about dive bars and how much fun they are.  So after a short while, we suggested that we move to a dive bar.  The other two were not too thrilled over this, so we compromised and the sister suggested a half-ass dive bar.  I think this just means no one is passed out on the floor, but still dark, a bit dirty with the mix smell of old alcohol still lingering.  All that and they serve PBR in a can.  Sweetness.     
 
The sister left first for some reason I can’t recall, but we met up again at the bar.  Turns out that some of her friends were there celebrating a 21st.  This is one of those strange gatherings where everyone is a friend of a friend.  So no one actually knew each other that well.  This was great for me to get to talk with everyone.    
 
Now there were a bunch of people, I’d say around 20.  This bar was set up with plenty of chairs and couches and on the big screen tv, they were showing reruns of 80s wrestling matches.  Good times.
 
Now that we’re at a real bar, let the real drinking begin.  Being a dive bar, the drinks were big and very strong.  Good times were being had by all.  Everyone was very friendly, and the conversations were good and interesting (this is not just because of the alcohol either).  After a while of mingling, I realized I’ve lost my friend and his girlfriend.  I saw the sister, but she was just making the rounds talking to all the groups of friends.  I walked around to the nice sofa and I sat my drink down next to a girl I met earlier that night. 
 
Between seeing her earlier and the time I had been speaking with her, I think she had about 3 shots and a few beers.  She was pretty petite for someone taking in all this alcohol.  So we talked (not sure of the time, but it was long.  At least 4 wrestling matches had been decided by some miracle comeback by the good guys or some foul play by the bad guys on the big screen) and the conversation was going really well, and the drinks kept coming.  After some time, she grabbed my hand and started stroking my arm.  You’ve got really soft skin she kept saying.  I don’t know if I should just take the compliment or defend my tough rough working fingers (rough typing fingers)”. 
 
I figured I’d just go with it.  So the touching went on, we sat closer on the couch and the conversation digressed to more basic things such as how far do you live from here.  She lived very close.  Happy Happy!! 
 
So the talking and the touching and the rubbing went on for quite a while, and for some reason, I mentioned that she looked a lot like Kristen Dunst  She actually did.  No kidding.  Maybe less than I thought because of the alcohol and soft dark lighting may have blurred my vision a bit, but I really do think she did have a strong resemblance.  Anyway, she thought that was a nice complement.  She asked if I had seen Spiderman II.  Luckily for me, I had just seen it earlier that day.  She said “remember that scene at the café?  That was my favorite scene”.  As I tried to quickly recall the scene (pic from above).  She pulls me closer and this conversation happens:               
 
Her:  “Do you love me?”
Me:   “Umm.. No.”
Her:  “Kiss me.  I need to know something”
 
What happened next strayed from the movie and I leaned in to kiss her.  This is much more preferable than having a car thrown at us as in the movie.  In case you didn’t see the movie, she wasn’t being psycho, but just acting out the café scene from the movie.     
 
Her tequila laced lips were delicious.  The kiss was soft and sweet.  She grabs my hands and stood up.  Right about the same time she reached the full standing position, she fell right back down on the sofa.  She was quite drunk now.  “Come on, let’s go.”  She could hardly slur those words out.  I looked at her as she pulled out some keys and throw them on my lap. 
 
So here I had a choice, and I chose.  Did I choose wisely?  I don’t know.
 
I grabbed her keys and pulled her near me on the sofa.  I said “let’s hang out here a little longer”.  We sat and talked a bit longer.  I fought through the drunken crowd to get some water for her.  After 2 drinks later (on my shirt), I got back to the sofa.  By then, she had her head in her arms.  Being the experienced drunk that I am, I knew she was done.  I sat next to her and made her drink some water.  She laid her head on my chest.  I put my arms around her and she got closer.  Now, her hair was just below my nose.  Even through all the stink of the alcohol, her hair smelled amazing.  She cuddled closer to me on the sofa and I just sat there stroking her hair and back. 
 
I kept thinking what I could be doing instead.  What if I had taken her up on her offer?  We’d no doubt be at her place by now… did I mention she looks a lot like Kirsten Dunst?  oh man…  I daydreamed for a bit, but then I looked down at this mess of hair, still with her head on my chest, the smell of her hair all around me.  All I could do was stroke her hair and her back.  I was taking care of a girl that I hardly knew.  I couldn’t tell if I was feeling like the stupidest guy in the world or the best.  Maybe both?  Nothing like a nice stupid guy.  Argh, stupid voices not making up their minds!       
 
Eventually, her friends came by to check on her.  She raised her head for a brief moment when they came by.  All she could say in her drunken sleepy voice was.  This is Pup (no, I didn’t tell her my name is pup), He’s a really nice guy.  He’s a really really nice guy.  She head fell back into my chest.    

Oh great.  A nice guy.  Just what I was looking for.     

8 comments:

sarahred is smokeylonglong said...

Ehhh- as much as you're kicking yorself right now, you know you did the right thing. But I've never met a guy with so much restraint

Pup said...

Argh!! I still don't know if I did the right thing there. It's so hard, the good voices and the bad voices.

Her smell was still on my shirt the next morning. That was nice. It would have been nicer to wake up with not just her scent though :(

LiAps said...

Pup, you are a nice guy. Next thing you know, you're gonna start surrendering at Blackjack tables. It's all downhill from there.

Kate the Peon said...

You rock. Way to be a true man.

Pup said...

You know I thought about surrendering in Blackjack when I was playing this weekend. I said oh hell no. No need to be a complete pansy. I won that hand BTW.

evilsciencechick said...

You are a good person!

Plus, from the way you describe her state of mind, she would have passed out son after you got to her place.

And if anything had happened after that, you would be a very VERY bad person!

Pup said...

Damn it!! That's it... How's a wednesday meeting between my foot and yo ass sound?

It's on T..

AGB 1 said...

Yeah, you did the right thing. You regret that nothing more happened but you would have regretted it more if it did. Besides. No matter where you went, she would have been "done" at exactly the same time she was "done" at the party. At least this way everybody could witness that you are an OK bloke.